"Without new experiences, something inside of us sleeps. The sleeper must awaken." - Frank Herbert

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Results Are In...

This past weekend seemed to go on forever. We all waited anxiously as the hours slowly crept by. I know I said I wasn't going to worry about who my site partner was, but in reality I didn't sleep much last night. When we are arrived at headquarters this morning, you could feel the tension in the air. It was D-day. Everyone was scanning the room trying to figure out which face they would have to see almost everyday for the next two years. You could practically hear the thoughts swimming through peoples heads. "Who would my site partner be?" "Which one of these strangers would be my new best friend/possible annoyance?" "Am I going to cry in front of everyone?" "What if I get a non-negotiable?" Our group gathered around as our trainer stood up to greet us with a big goofy grin. I think people were actually holding their breath. Of course, he decided to lecture us for an hour and a half about who knows what. The word torture comes to mind. I don't think any of us were really concentrating on what he was saying.

The time painfully ticked by. I felt as if I was back in college and waiting to see my grades posted online and praying that I passed biology this time. Anyway, I digress. So after he finally finished his lecture, our program director walked up and I swear you could hear a pin drop. He looked at us and we all laughed nervously. You would think we were being drafted into war or something. He talked about how we need to be professional and there is no way for us to change our partners and we were all sitting there throwing darts at him with our eyes because the suspense was too much to handle! He reads the first names. A list of 8 people who would be in a site alone. My name isn't read. I relax a little. I didn't really want to tackle this thing alone. Then he begins with the pairs. I feel as if the list will never end when he finally reaches my name.

Sara Caitlin Bearden and Kurt Wilson. I practically exhale and feel the knot in my stomach loosen. Kurt is my partner. The next two years are decided. Everything is fine. I think. Oh god. Is everything ok? Kurt is my partner for the next two years. What have I done? Ha just kidding. Kurt is a smart guy and I think we will work well together for the next two years. I don't think it has really sunk in for either of us what being site partners actually means. New experience. New country. New adventure. I feel like I am taking a gamble on someone I barely know. But what is life without a little gambling? We will see how it goes. Short background on Kurt. He is from Maryland and therefore I consider him a dirty yank. He also has a tendency to say Roll Tide to me whenever he gets the chance. I will probably have to beat him up before the two years are over, but I figure someone probably needs to keep him in check. Here's to hoping we don't drive each other crazy.

So one hurdle crossed. Next mystery to solve is our site placement. There are 35 of us all fighting for a place that is warm. Some people will be disappointed. I am pretty open to anything as long as there is a post office. March 24th is the big day. The next month will probably fly by and the next thing I know I will be in the middle of nowhere Guatemala with minimal spanish skills, a sleeping bag and a yank named Kurt. Puchica.

3 comments:

  1. I've decided that once you are done, you should become a writer. all of your blog's intrigue me, make me laugh, and put the desire to go DO something for the world in my heart. -- Much love! Campbell

    P.S. so I haven't made it to the Post office yet, but your letter is coming, let me know if I need to change the address on it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Campbell! Miss you girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm loving your posts too! Sorry if I comment too much, but comments always motivate me to keep up with my blog...so keep it up! Can't wait to read more :)
    p.s. you can bet i'm coming to visit you one day to witness a few days in this amazing adventure of yours!

    ReplyDelete