Well, I have embarked on a new mission. To find the perfect husky puppy to cuddle with me for the next two years (since I think Kurt adamantly refuses to fill that void...I will settle for a puppy). I know what you are thinking...Why would a country like Guatemala have huskies? Well...that is a great question. I have no clue, but they are everywhere. I literally see at least one beautiful Alaskan dog every day. There is even a brown one (possibly a street dog) that lives right outside my door. He came up to me the other day and sniffed my hand. I was tempted to sit down and let him lick my face, but I didn't know if he was rabid. Sure I have had my rabies shots, but the thought of riding on a chicken bus while profusely bleeding from a dog bite and needing a vaccine could keep anyone from snuggling even the cutest of pups. Probably not the best idea to wrestle on the ground with a street dog anyway. Then I would definitely be labeled the crazy Gringa.
So this morning, Kurt and I ventured to San Lucas because he heard a rumor that vendors come from all over to sell their puppies for cheap. And cheap is a must on a Peace Corps budget. I woke up all chipper and excited about the prospect of playing with huskies of every shape and size. As I am sitting on the bus, I am picturing a field full of happy doggies. Unfortunately, we were met with utter disappointment. Welcome to Guatemala. We got there at 9 and the puppies weren't due to arrive until noon. I had to get back home to eat lunch with my family so the trip was a bit of a waste. I did get to see a weiner dog picture on the side of a hot dog stand. It was so cute with a little bun wrapped around it. So the trip wasn't a complete failure. Not exactly what I was hoping for, but you have to stay positive right? Maybe next Sunday will be the lucky day.
When I got home, I met up with a few other volunteers and we headed to the animal shelter here in Sumpango. I use the words "animal shelter" loosely. It is more like random cages clumsily placed on hills where dogs are piled behind fences. But at least the dogs are fed, spayed/neutered and given a place to sleep. Unlike a lot of dogs here in Guate. So we ventured to the puppy cage and played with the little misfits for a while. There was a gorgeous brown puppy with beautiful brown eyes....but he was no husky. After we saw the puppies, we wandered through the cat cages and played with them for a while. Overall, it was a day of animal loving (also I fell flat on my butt and pulled a thigh muscle...but that is a different story).
Now Dad. I know you don't want me to get a dog because I will probably come home in two years and then decide to travel and leave you with my new found love. And guess what? You are probably right. But if you walked down the street with me this morning and heard all of the whistles I got from strange men, you would probably mail me a husky tomorrow. Protection (also an area I think Kurt refuses to fill...just kidding...maybe) is another motivating factor for buying a furry friend. So I believe my mind is made up. I'm going to be a dog person. Specifically a husky person. Next question is...what should I name him/her? Aubie?
Puppy! Yay! I love huskies too! So cute!
ReplyDeleteJust fyi: puppies chew on EVERYTHING! Dylan chewed up one of our new mats. They also take up a lot of your time.
Aw lol it's "spayed". And PLEASE do not get me started on how you should adopt from the ANIMAL SHELTER, even if it's not really like the shelter I work at. But I am glad you'd like a companion.. stupid Kurt! lol ;)
ReplyDelete