Well I have been in country for two weeks and what a ridiculous adventure it has been already! I have seen some crazy things and done some even crazier things. My first day in country felt a little surreal. Was I actually moving to Guatemala? Was this my reality for the next two years? I don't even speak Spanish...What am I doing here? All of these questions were bombarding my thoughts as I sat in my tiny room in the middle of Sumpango... and then the tears started. Small ones progressed into a mini panic attack that finally subsided when I told myself to suck it and grow a pair. So what? You moved to the middle of nowhere Central America and you know less Spanish than the fat kids who watch Dora the Explorer. You haven't got a clue what you are doing and your malaria pills give you terrifying dreams. So what? You have to get on colorful school buses packed with a million Guatemalans and twist around curves at 80 miles per hour. You have to wash your underwear in a sink and hang it up for the entire neighborhood to see. You can't communicate with your host family and you have to eat beans and tortillas with every meal. So what? Wait where was I going with this? Oh yeah...I was telling myself to suck it up. Well I have...or at least I will. In all honesty, Guatemala is pretty amazing. Yeah it has a few quirks, but what country doesn't? I mean we have Sarah Palin for goodness sake. I think I would rather have the chicken buses.
Two weeks in and I still can't believe I actually signed up for 2 years. I'm sure it will hit me around Christmas when I realize I have lived abroad for an entire year and didn't run home with my tail between my legs. So far it has been great. I am in a group of 52 volunteers. Thirty something of which are in my program. "Escuelas Saludables" also known as Healthy Schools. We are training to be facilitators of teachers. Our goal is to go into schools, assess them and help create plans of action that will encourage healthy habits among the students. Yep. My job is awesome. Not to mention the Quetzal (Guatemalan currency) is sitting at 8 for every dollar. So everything is freaking cheap. It's a perk.
My family here in Guatemala is nothing short of amazing. I have a mom, dad, aunt, grandfather and little sister. My mom and dad are still in their twenties so, in actuality, they are more like my older brother and sister. My grandpa is adorable. He has almost two teeth and when he grins I want to pee it is so funny. My aunt is an older single lady. According to Guatemaltecas, she is supposed to be a bit on the bitter side. But she doesn't bring it up too often...and she doesn't have any cats. My little sister is 1 and she is the only person I can communicate with perfectly. Since the only thing she says is "Nah-nah" and then giggles, I find it quite easy to reciprocate. Really my Spanish isn't horrible. I can pick up on most of the conversation and I don't think I sound like a complete idiot when I speak. Although last week, my aunt was trying to tell me about how the baby fell out of her chair and I thought she was talking about giant spiders. Common mistake.
Guatemala is a beautiful country. It is full of so many colors and fun people. I can actually see three volcanoes from the roof of my house. Only one is active so everyone keep your fingers crossed! The houses are so interesting. From the outside you would think they are run down little shacks, but when you go inside it is a completely different story. My house has a beautiful garden and nice roof where you can hang your clothes to dry. My room is a decent size and I even have a nice dresser to store my valuables. The people in my city wear indigenous clothing that is full of colors and history. We have a central market that explodes with life on the weekends. People come from all over to sell their vegetables, meats, clothes, etc. I have only scratched the surface of the culture.
Now let me tell you about the chicken buses. Mom and Dad...skip over this paragraph. Chicken buses. Every time you get on one it is a new adventure. These buses (formally known as school buses) have been decorated according to the driver's interest. Some have religious sayings, others are patriotic and many of them have cartoons from the states. Just yesterday, I was on a bus that had Bugs Bunny mean-mugging and wearing baggy pants. It was pretty fabulous. Now before you board your bus, you have to decide if you want to listen to the ayudante (guy who ushers people onto the bus and cheerfully takes your money while also being what seems like a magician). Now to be an ayudante you pretty much have to be fearless and capable of manuevering through crammed buses while taking money and running from the back of the bus to the front of the bus before getting run over/left behind. Once you finally put your trust in the magical ayudante you board a bus loaded with what seems like 20 seats and 20 million Guatemaltecos. You try not to rub all over strangers but it is inevitable. If you are lucky enough to find a seat to put one of your butt cheeks on, it is practically a miracle. Otherwise, you are stuck standing between someone elses legs, holding on for dear life and hoping that the guy you are practically molesting isn't the pick-pocket who is going to steal every quetzal you've got. When the bus comes screeching to a halt and you are lucky enough to realize it is your stop, you climb over bodies and jump out of the back. If you aren't quick enough, you have to jump from the back of a moving chicken bus. Yes. This actually happens. Time is money and safety is overrated. When your feet hit solid ground and you realize you survived yet another ride, you can't help but smile. You have succeeded and come out alive. You may have seen your life flash before your eyes but you have won. Warrior of the chicken buses.
Overall, the past 2 weeks have been an emotional and cultural roller coaster. I love everything about it. For everyone out there who is wondering, I am safe, happy and only mildly terrified. Guatemala is going to be a fun place to spend the next two years. I believe in what I am doing. Kids here get sick a lot and our project is going to help change that. 95 percent of Guatemala's water is contaminated. Education is key. If all goes right, I will help at least one kid realize the importance of washing hands, brushing teeth and making sure they know staying clean is staying healthy. Here's to hoping! Wish me luck.
Good luck Caitlin! I have no doubt you'll do great. Take care chica.
ReplyDeleteJohn Medina