"Without new experiences, something inside of us sleeps. The sleeper must awaken." - Frank Herbert

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Cultural Comparisons

When you move to a new country, one of the hardest things to do is adapt to a new culture. The people are different. The clothes are different. The language is different. It can become overwhelming. As I sat at the dinner table last night, I was thinking about this strange new culture and wondering how and why I will acclimate to this seemingly altered way of life. Sometimes it feels as if nothing is familiar. I am experiencing something so completely out of my comfort zone and I feel more out of place than a lacey thong on the clothesline of a Guatemalan rooftop (I will write about that awkward experience another time). People stare at me on the street. When kids see me they shout "Hola Gringa!". I never go unnoticed. Some days it is just plain weird.

Here are some little differences I have noticed about Guatemalan culture: My family uses spoons instead of forks to eat. I must say that using a spoon to eat meat is not the easiest thing in the world. They have forks sitting next to their plates, yet they all use spoons. I looked around the table last night and realized I was the only one using a fork. They don't eat fruit with their meals. My family thinks it is bad for the stomach to mix fruit with other food. Everytime you leave the table you must say "Muchas Gracias", even if you are coming right back. Otherwise, you will get sick. I haven't eaten a meal yet where hot tortillas weren't available. Men don't go into a womans room because if they do it must involve sex. If you drink you are considered a drunk because apparently Guatemalans don't know how to drink in moderation. Fireworks go off in the street every hour and your intial thought is a gun which is terrifying. It is rude not to formally introduce yourself or other people. Gender roles are usually adhered to. They wash their clothes, dishes, and brush their teeth all at the same place: the pila (it is a giant concrete sink that is the main water source in the home).

Here are some similarities I have noticed: Like most babies, my baby sister throws everything on the floor. They sing and they laugh the same way we do. The songs may have different words but it is still music. People say hello to strangers on the street. Vendors are constantly trying to sell you their goods. They watch the news and play with their kids. There are parties and baptism and weddings and funerals. Sure the parties all have pinantas and the funerals consist of people marching through the street carrying a casket, but it is the same idea. They gossip and invite their neighbors over for Sunday lunch.

Living here is something I am still getting used to. After all it has only been three and a half weeks. I have two years to acclimate myself to this culture and then I guess I will have to reacclimate myself to life in the States. But for now I say bring on the colorful Mayan clothing and the camionetas (chicken buses). After all, life is nothing but a daring adventure. I'm here to learn and I'm here to adapt. It is already an experience I will never forget.

2 comments:

  1. Awww, that sounds like so much fun. We also eat with spoons at the preschool and I'm like...how do you eat salad with a spoon? I miss you. So. Much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that you included the similarities part. It helps to know that everyone is essentially the same where it really matters...even if the sights, sounds, smells, etc. around you are different :)

    ReplyDelete