It is hard to imagine what a Saturday night in Sumpango is like unless the crowded streets are right outside your door. As I sit on my bed, inside the safety of my home, I am wondering what it is like for the locals roaming the streets. I can here music playing and children shouting. Fireworks are constantly being set aflame and street vendors are looking for easy targets. The churches are full of people praising the Lord and the dark corners of the streets are full of young hombres smoking cigarettes and looking for a good time. The streets come alive on the weekend. The local market is filled with fruits, vegetables, meats, clothes and useless trinkets. The sidewalks (or actually side of the street since sidewalks don't really exist here in Sumpango) are covered with anything from live chickens to Spanish DVDs. The central park is converted into an outdoor church as the Evangelicals compete with the Catholics.
But a Saturday night for me consists of making tortillas with my madre and tia, sitting down to a nice bean and egg dinner with my family and remaining safely within the confines of the four walls of my room. It is a whole different world here for Gringas like myself. Once the sun hits the horizon, we head home and make sure to lock the door. We are told it isn't smart to stay out after dark because we have giant targets on our backs. It is true. It probably isn't safe to venture out into the streets when anyone or anything could be lurking in the corner. Especially when you have blue eyes that make you stick out like a sore thumb. But the night owl in me wants to explore and experience life after dark.
A normal saturday night back in the States is a night out with friends at the local karaoke bar or catching dinner and a movie. It is normal for 20-somethings to have a beer and meet new faces. Here in Guatemala only men drink and smart women don't hang out in the streets after dark. At least not unless they have a man "protecting" them. Machismo is a big thing here in Guatemala. It is yet another cultural difference I will have to get used to. For the next 2 years, I will make smart decisions because here, a wrong decision could cost me alot. So take comfort Mom and Dad, in the fact that you raised an intelligent and aware daughter and know that I won't be sneaking out after dark. I know not everyone is a criminal but my suspicion keeps me from being a victim.
I think I will sit with my tia and practice my Spanish. Maybe I will learn something new.
It is comforting to know that you are making wise decisions...I have worried about the culture after dark...I have a blog too...www.bassakward-tales.blogspot.com...so if you need a laugh or just want something to read from home...there you go...I will check on you later chicky...have a good nights rest...many hugs and kisses....
ReplyDelete