"Without new experiences, something inside of us sleeps. The sleeper must awaken." - Frank Herbert
Tuesday, February 1, 2011
Grandpa Luis: The Jedi
My new grandpa is an interesting individual. When you first look at him you think he is an adorable old man. Which he is. But at second glance you start to think about what kind of person lies under his warn, wrinkled skin. He looks like someone you would find on the cover of National Geographic. He doesn't talk much. I mentioned the corruption in the Guatemalan government once and he chimed in. But mostly he just keeps to himself. Yesterday I was sitting at the table alone with him and he was resting his eyes. When I looked at him I wondered what kind of things he has seen in his lifetime. Guatemala's civil war only ended 14 years ago so I want to ask him how that time was for him. I just haven't found a way to approach the subject. I see him come in from work with heavy bags of grains strapped to his back. So he must be fairly strong. He is missing all four of his front top teeth. We had ears of corn for dinner and he had to gnaw on it with the side of his mouth. It was sad but quite comical at the same time. Everytime he looks at me he smiles. His toothless grin makes me smile back. I think he loves our stinky dog. He puts her on a leash and giggles at her sometimes. Whenever the dog comes into the kitchen he yells "Shucha" which means "dirty" and then he just laughs at her. He wears a Calvin Klein hat. I'm guessing someone gave it to him as a gift. He cleans his shoes twice a day. They seem to be very important to him. I can't help but love the old man but I literally know nothing about him. He is kind of like a jedi. A powerful and wise member of the family yet slightly mysterious. I really want to sit him in a chair and photograph him for hours. But I'm pretty sure that would be a weird request. I probably couldn't ask him in Spanish anyway. One day I will solve the mystery of Grandpa Luis. Until then I guess he will remain an enigma.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You're going to look over one day and see the dog hovering in place...and that's when you'll know. :)
ReplyDeletehaha, lauren. i love old men. love them.
ReplyDeletecreepy lindsey. creepy.
ReplyDelete;)
I like this written portrait just as much as a photograph. I look at old people the same way...they have to be bursting with stories...if only you can get them to tell you. Look forward to more of your stories like this :)
ReplyDelete