"Without new experiences, something inside of us sleeps. The sleeper must awaken." - Frank Herbert

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Hanging Out With Some Dead People

Tomorrow is the Day of the Dead here in Guatemala. No it isn’t Halloween (even though it sounds spooky). That is considered “El dia de la Bruja” (Day of the Witch). The Day of the Dead is on November 1st and it is celebrated nationwide. Now, one would think, “Why would people devote an entire day to the dead?” But really I think the better question is “Why not?” I went with my host brother to the cemetery yesterday to visit his father. It is sad that I never got to meet Marcelo. If he was a part of this family, I know I would have loved him. Anyway, the reason for our visit was to paint his tomb. Wait...what? No seriously, that was on the agenda. And we weren’t the only ones participating in this strange ritual. The cemetery was filled with people sprucing up head stones, painting crosses, laying out flower arrangements. It was like spring cleaning. For me, it was a strange sight. But every year, right before the big celebration, families and friends of the deceased pay them a visit and do a little remodeling.

In the United States culture, we fear death. We do everything from sticking to strict diets to having plastic surgery to spending three hours at the gym every day, in order to preserve our youth and ward off the evils of the unknown afterlife. We wish we could live forever. But here in Guatemala, searching for the fountain of youth isn't really an option or a priority. So why not celebrate the inevitable? Those who have passed away are given a day each year to hang out with their friends and family members from  thebeyond. People bring flowers, food, even a shot of whiskey to share with those who have died. Kids make sure to bring their kites and make a day of it. It is like a grand celebration to the lives that have been lost. I was with my host niece in the cemetery and she thought nothing of climbing over headstones or standing on the graves. She even looked at one and said it was pretty. Of course, in my head I am thinking “This is so weird and twisted” but to her and to a culture who has no fear of cemeteries or headstones, it was perfectly normal. Why not see it as a playground?

The Day of the Dead is one thing I enjoy  the most about the Guatemalan culture. Why wouldn’t we celebrate our dead in the U.S.? Because we are taught to think the dead are no longer around. That their spirits have entered another world so what is the point of sitting around and talking to them. I think that is so depressing. I for one hope that one day my friends and family will gather around my grave and pour me a shot of whiskey. Just because I’m dead doesn’t mean I don’t want someone to chat with or share an occasional drink. The more the merrier. I will bring the kites.

No comments:

Post a Comment