I never really thought about the fact that a large part of
the world’s population don’t have showers…at least not until I moved to
Guatemala. Can you imagine doing what you do all day and then not being able to
spend at least ten stress free minutes alone in your shower? We are so accustom
to it. None of us have ever had to bathe in a sink…well at least not since we
started bathing ourselves. In Guatemala, 75 percent of the population lives
below the poverty level. Bathing isn’t a top priority when you are trying to
figure out how to get food for your kids. A large percentage of people work
outside and then are not able to shower afterwards. So they have to take what
we call “bucket baths”. They heat water on the wood burning stove and then bathe
by pouring it on their bodies. There are even volunteers here in Guatemala who
live without showers. They spend two years taking bucket baths. My first three
days in Guatemala, I had to do it. That is when I realized that once I got to
my site, finding a house with a shower would be a top priority for me. I am not
a martyr. I think I am sacrificing enough without smelling like a sweaty mess
all the time.
For those of us that do have showers, they still are nothing
like the United States. I would consider Guatemalan showers a health risk. Sure,
the water is heated by electricity. But the wires all hang into the shower. So
you are standing under a flow of water while trying not to get electrocuted by
the very mechanism that is helping you get clean. I think every volunteer has
felt that small shock every now and then when they put their hand in the wrong
place or bump into it the wrong way. It is a bit of a wakeup call.
So what sparked this thought pattern on the world of body washing
techniques? This past weekend, I visited a town called Zunil with a few other
girls from the Peace Corps. We went to take a dip in their public baths. Wait a
second…Caitlin! You took off your clothes with a bunch of Guatemalans? Scandalous!
The first image that pops into your head is a pond full of overweight hairy
Latin men washing parts of their bodies that you never wanted to see. Sounds
disgusting right? That’s exactly what I was expecting. But luckily, I was way
off the mark. The public baths are actually private rooms with tiled tubs in
them. There are two faucets, one for hot water and one for cold. You fill up
the bath and either enjoy an hour of steamy swimming or you just soap up and
move on. We decided to use the rooms as our own private saunas. The hot water
comes from natural springs heated by the volcanoes that surround the town.
Mostly the locals use them for a daily or weekly wash, but we put on our
bathing suits and made a party of it.
After two years of showering in an electric deathtrap, I
know I will appreciate my shower in the States even more. And after walking by
several houses where women have to wash their hair in the sink, I know that
every time I reach for the shampoo I’m less likely to take for granted the
annoying task of washing my hair. For those of you who enjoy a daily shower,
just remember that there are a lot of people in this world who are denied that
simple pleasure just because they were born into a world where life is not as
easy. So soap up and remember to be thankful for the little things because to
some people they may not be so little. Now go shower. You stink.
No comments:
Post a Comment